Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chandra Control

Chandra Control is a powerful control deck I created that centers around the powerful planeswalker Chandra Ablaze and the amazing sorcery Cruel Ultimatum.



Chandra Ablaze's 1st ability allows you to add a loyalty counter by discarding a red card to Flame Javelin, deal 4 direct damage to target creature or player. Her second ability is amazing against another control deck. Both players discard their hands and draw 3 cards which limits the options they have stored up till now. Chandra's final ability will win you the game...remove 7 counters to play any number of red instants or sorceries from your graveyard without paying their mana costs. This final ability leads me to the next card that wins the game and plays nicely with Chandra...Cruel Ultimatum.



Cruel Ultimatum is probably the most powerful sorcery Magic the Gathering has ever created. It changes the game dramatically. Your opponent has to sacrifice a creature, discard 3 cards, and lose 5 life while you return a creature from your graveyard to your hand, draw 3 cards, and gain 5 life (basically they lose 4 cards and 5 life and you gain 4 cards and 5 life...all this from playing 1 card is just crazy and overwhelming.) The goal of the deck is to play Cruel Ultimatum on turn 7 by casting it at full cost and recasting it and others through Chandra's final ability hopefully on turn 8.



This version of Chandra Control only runs 4 creatures maindeck. Sedraxis Specter is a 3/2 flyer with unearth that causes your opponent to discard a card whenever it deals combat damage to that opponent. It is a great early game threat, and, with its unearth ability, it is a great target to discard for Chandra's 1st ability. The deck also runs 3 Magma Phoenix in its sideboard. Magma Phoenix is a great creature to side in versus aggro decks. Magma Phoenix deals 3 damage to each creature and player when it is put in the graveyard and returns to your hand for 5 mana to do it all over again. The Phoenix is also a great target for Chandra since it can return to your hand after being discarded.

In addition to these threats, the deck is compiled of some the most powerful red spells in the current Standard.



These two burn spells are amazing and may be the most powerful red burn commons that Magic has ever made. When playing the deck, you should save these cards to kill your opponent's creatures early on and then begin punishing your opponent directly in later turns while waiting for Chandra final ability to trip them once more. (Key note about Burst Lightning: when playing it, you can kick the spell...so when Chandra's final ability trips, you can add the kicker cost when casting it through her ability for additional damage.)



These 2 spells are used to help control your opponent's hand size and threats while still dealing direct damage to him or her. Thought Hemorrage is a great sideboard card that can be sided in to further limit your opponent's options in control and combo deck matchups.



Bitumous Blast is an awesome instant creature burn that cascades into some of your other powerful burn or card draw spells. Grixis Charm is a sideboard card that helps bounce an annoying artifacts (such as Pithing Needle), planeswalkers, lands, or enchantments (especially if the Zendikar quest enchantments take off). It is also another excellent kill spell and can be pitched easily to Chandra.

Here is my final build:

Maindeck
4 Chandra Ablaze
4 Sedraxis Specter
3 Cruel Ultimatum
3 Divination
4 Terminate
4 Blightning
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Burst Lightning
3 Bitumous Blast
3 Volcanic Fallout

Sideboard
3 Magma Phoenix
3 Thought Hemorrhage
3 Grixis Charm
4 Countersquall
2 Swerve

The maindeck is designed to stall creature heavy, aggro decks. In more control or combo deck matchups, side out the unneeded kill spells for Countersquall to counter non-creature spells while still depleting his or her life total, Swerve to redirect spells (awesome against Time Warp decks...redirect the extra turn to yourself), Thought Hemorrhage to limit their hand size, and Grixis Charm to bounce their combo pieces.

Tonight will be my first run with it at our local FNM. I will post any changes I think will need to be made afterwards in the comments section...If any of you have any ideas or suggestions, please let me know. Enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. This deck was a "Bitumous" Blast to play. I went on to split 1st place at our local FNM (approx 30 players).

    matchups:

    2-1 vs RW control w/ Luminarch Ascencion. Game 1 lost to 8 angels. Game 2 and 3 Grixis Charm the Ascencion to prevent the onslaught. Grixis Charm is an awesome card. It also bounced lands in several games to slow the opponent.

    2-1 vs Goblins. These guys are fast. I simply burned them early on and Magma Phoenix held them off later in the round until Cruel and Chandra took over.

    2-0 vs Mill. This was very hard deck to play against, especially in sideboarding. I eventually took out 3 Volcanic Fallout, 4 Terminate, 3 Bitumous Blast, and 1 Cruel Ultimatum out for 4 Countersquall, 3 Grixis Charm, 3 Thought Hemorrhage, and 1 Magma Phoenix. Both games came down to topdecking a hopeful win with less than 10 cards left in my library.

    2-0 vs Mill. Blightning helped slow the opponent down. Sedraxis Specter won the 1st game for me while I was landlocked at 4 lands. Game 2 was won with Chandra's Ultimate kicking 27 points of damage with Blightnings, Lightning Bolts, Burst Lightnings, and Cruel Ultimatum.

    2-1 vs the pesky Goblins again. Did I mention that these guys are fast? I was able to burn them as soon as they came into play and eventually won game 2 with enough burn (less than 5 life left) and game 3 I Swerved a Lightning Bolt and Chandra's ultimate kicked back some burn spells for the win (3 life left...would have died without Swerve.)

    Like I said...this deck is blast to play. The only changes I may make right now is to play with 1 less Chandra for another land and substitute Swerve for Banefire in the sideboard. Swerve is an amesome surprise card, but I didn't feel the need to side it in as much I thought I would. Banefire would be more helpful when I am mana flooded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really, really fun dude. I didn't see any comments, but have to commend you on a great build.

    I think I'll go out of my way to duplicate this as best I can.

    Very neat idea..

    What lands are you running?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment!!!

    I played this deck in 2 tournaments this past weeekend at PT Austin and decided, like many other people,...I HATE JUND. I went 2-4 vs Jund. I love this deck, so I made a few changes that will help with the Jund and Boros matchup. Below is my current decklist (which will probably change as the new metagame evolves.)

    Maindeck
    3 Chandra Ablaze
    2 Sphinx of the Lost Truth
    4 Bloodghast
    4 Sedraxis Specter
    2 Cruel Ultimatum
    4 Terminate
    4 Blightning
    4 Lightning Bolt
    4 Burst Lightning
    2 Swerve
    2 Volcanic Fallout

    Lands
    4 Crumbling Necropolis
    3 Dragonskull Summit
    3 Drowned Catacomb
    6 Mountain
    4 Island
    5 Swamp

    Sideboard
    4 Deathmark
    1 Volcanic Fallout
    3 Grixis Charm
    1 Cruel Ultimatum
    3 Countersquall
    1 Swerve
    2 Rites of Replication

    After playing the deck alot this weekend...I decided that certain cards needed to change. First of all Magma Phoenix is too slow. I never found it useful. Jund and Boros are too fast. I decided to add Deathmark for Jund, Bant, and anything Baneslayer; Jund killed me this weekend, because its creatures are too big to Burst Lightning early on. I also took out Thought Hemorrhage because it usually didn't affect the current gamestate...it is only useful vs combo decks and the metagame is mostly aggro. A surprise sleeper card was Clone (which is being replaced by Rite of Replication). I was able to Clone Baneslayers, Bloodbraid Elf cascading into my own Terminates and Blightnings, and Broodmate Dragon...I can dream of a kicked Rites of Replication on Broodmate for 5 Broodmates with their 5 dragon tokens. My favorite addition to the deck is Bloodghast. Most decks (especially a combo mirror) have no answer for this guy. I beat several decks with Bloodghast getting wiped out from Day of Judgements, Pyroclasms, etc...and coming back to play with haste on my next land drop (another benefit of playing 25 lands.) He made every turn relevant (lands meant something). Several games I pitched him when I was Blightning'ed by Jund, and he is great to pitch for the Sphinx of the Lost Truth and Chandra if need be. I know it sounds weird for him to be in this deck, but he gives a constant pressure for your opponent to be forced to deal with (a recursive shock for playing a land.) I am looking forward to evolving this deck as the Standard continues to evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard incredible things about Bloodghast in decks. I don't think he'll be a "sleeper" type card for long. I think he's an incredibly under-rated card, especially in competition when lots of people use board sweepers.
    I've never been a fan of Magma Phoenix, so I questioned his inclusion initially, though I'm still learning so who am I to judge. I've found sporatic luck with him, but for what he does for his cost it never panned out. I've lucked out playing him and clearing the board of soldiers before.

    I hate to admit this, but I've NEVER played with Bloodbraid Elf. It just seems like a juggernaut of a card, and after finally understanding the mechanic of it, I can understand it's power.

    It's a shame to see Thought Hemorrage go, but as you said, it seems to only be usual in specific situations. I have a semi-casual fun black/red deck that used Thought Hemorrage, but for it's worth it never paid out for me.

    I hate to ask this but...what is "Jund". Is that black/green/red decks?

    Love this deck still. I like it a lot more then your Elspeth Assault, but that's probably because I frown at her price tag :)

    -Ryan
    AIM: Ryan Raze

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jund is the Black / Red / Green decks that uses cascade to blow out its opponents. Cascade is such a powerful card advantage ability (and I hate this deck....its a great deck but a pain to play against).

    The deck typically runs: Bloodbraid Elf, Sprouting Thrinax, Putrid Leech, Great Sable Stag, and Dragon Broodmate as its creatures and Bitumous Blast, Lightning Bolt, Maelstom Pulse, Terminate, Garruk Wildspeaker, and the powerful Blightning. Lad has a cool build...contact him for the specific build he took to PT Austin.

    ReplyDelete