Friday, July 17, 2009

Lorescale Coatl deck

Ever since the latest block came out, I have been interested with the card Lorescale Coatl.



It is such a cool uncommon that I decided to build a new deck around it. The deck went through 4 different rebuilds until I settled on this final version. I built the deck as a blue / green beat down deck with lots of cool manipulation cards from various sets. The first card I knew that had to be in the deck is Brainstorm.



Play Lorescale on turn 4 and wait for your opponent to decide what to do with the creature. When your opponent decides to Tarfire Lorescale or attack you, play Brainstorm. Brainstorm allows you to draw 3 cards and then put 2 on top of your library. Your Lorescale is now a 5/5 and will wait to attack for 6 on your next turn.

I also added a few other key rares to help assist Lorescale in the beatdown. The first addition was the amazing mythic rare Jenara Asura of War and the second is cool rare Murkfiend Liege.



On turn 5 you can play Jenara and activate her ability to make her a 4/4 flyer. Or you can play the Murkfiend and watch your huge Lorescale Coatl (potentially a 9/9 creature) attack and then untap to block on the next turn.

I also added 2 other key rares to this deck to help power through the game. Cold-Eyed Selkie adds to the potential card draw boosting Lorescale even further. Cytoshape is a really cool card that has lots of options for this deck. You can use it to pester your opponent by Cytoshaping their biggest creature into a 1/1 when they decide to attack or block. Or, my favorite, Cytoshaping your Lorescale Coatl into a Cold-Eyed Selkie after your opponent decides to take a big hit. Your Cytoshape Lorescale Coatl will draw you a lot of cards thus boosting your other Coatls on the board.



For the final blow to your opponent, I added a playset of the cool Morningtide uncommon Bramblewood Paragon. When playing the deck I keep Bramblewood in my hand until I am ready to lay down a killer blow, which is usually by turn 5 or 6.



This is a very fun yet casual deck that never plays out the same each time I play it. I win with so many different options, primarily with the help of Cytoshape and a huge Lorescale Coatl. Below is my final decklist...

Creatures:
Lorescale Coatl x 4
Jenara Asura of War x 4
Murkfiend Liege x 4
Cold-Eyed Selkie x 4
Bramblewood Paragon x 4
Vigean Hydropon x 3
Elvish Visionary x 3
Coiling Oracle x 2

Instants:
Brainstorm x 4
Cytoshape x 4

Lands:
Seaside Citadel x 4
Forest x 8
Island x 8
Plains x 4


Let me know what you think... If you have any other ideas for the deck or if you like the deck idea. Check here for a variant and other deck ideas for sell: http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/nickyrucker

No comments:

Post a Comment